Thursday, 12 June 2014

Migration test of Sharegate to SP2013

Problem: I am looking at migrating some basic content into a SP2013 farm from SP2010.  I would normally opt for Metalogix or DocPoint if the client already has the licences but today I needed to use another tool namely Sharegate.  I used Sharegate.Migration.4.6.3

Scenarios:
SP2010 blog posts to an existing SP2013 blog.
SP2010 lists into SP2013.

Screenshot of the tool:


Verdict:  A great tool, easy to use, mapped over data cleanly.  Absolute winner!

Wednesday, 11 June 2014

CAML Designer for SharePoint 2013 is Brilliant

I always used U2U for checking my CAML queries in SharePoint.  I have just used CAML Designer for SharePoint 2013 and it is brilliant.

Link to the CAML Designer tool
http://karinebosch.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/caml-designer-for-sharepoint-2013-released/

Saturday, 7 June 2014

Content database Sizing & Cleanup

Problem:  At a customer site, a content database is massive.  Various Site collections are using the same content database. 

Initial Hypothesis:  Smaller site collections can be moved to new separate content databases.  This reduces the size to some degree.  The SQL log (ldf) is in good shape.  The excessive size is due to 3 unavoidable issues, multiple versions of large blobs (we need the versioning so not an option).  The recycle bin is set to the default 50% and my dumping older content is brings down the size and lastly, delete content databases are still sored within SQL. 

Resolution: Remove the previously deleted site collections fro the content database.   Using CA, I tried to run the "Gradual Site Delete timer job", it no difference, the delete site was still lingering about. 

Used PowerShell to remove the deleted site collections as shown above.  E.g. PS> Remove-SPDeletedSite -Identity ""

More Info:
http://blogbaris.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/delete-sharepoint-2010-site-collection.html
 

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

SharePoint 2013 urls

I am often having to go to Google to find SP url formations, to work with the product as I don't memorise them.  Ahmed Farag has a good post on this:
"Famous SharePoint URLs & Locations"

My common ones are:
Login using Windows credentials
/_windows/default.aspx
Web Part Maintenance Page
?Contents=1
Sign in as a different user
/_layouts/closeConnection.aspx?loginasanotheruser=true
Change Site Master Page
/_layouts/ChangeSiteMasterPage.aspx
Master Pages library
/_catalogs/masterpage/Forms/AllItems.aspx
User Information list per Site Collection
/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx 
/_catalogs/users/detail.aspx  (also see)
/_layouts/userdisp.aspx?id={UserID}&Force=True
Get the custom property bag propeties on the Root SPWeb of the site collection
/_api/web/allproperties
Get the version of the SharePoint server (Patch level)

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

SharePoint 2013 publishing site blog won't allow anonymous access

Problem:  I have a public facing website that has a blog.  I have been hitting my head trying to make it anonymous when eureka Google saved me on a topic I had totally forgotten. 

Initial Hypothesis: I have anonymous access enabled on the web application and on the site collection.  I started thinking it was the blog not inheriting permissions so I tried applying anonymous access at the site level followed by examining permissions on the posts list.  All erroneous so I reverted to full inherited permissions.  I Google-ed the symptoms and viola, it is the ViewFormPagesLockDown feature.

Resolution: Turn off the ViewFormPagesLockDown feature for the site collection and anonymous access users will not get the credential prompt when accessing the post.
PS> $lockdown = Get-SPFeature viewformpageslockdown
PS> Disable-SPFeature $lockdown -url http://sitecollectionURL
and confirm the change.

More Info:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/varun_malhotra/archive/2012/01/13/can-t-access-a-list-on-an-anonymous-site-sharepoint-2010.aspx
http://blog.mastykarz.nl/preventing-authenticated-visitors-browsing-system-pages/ (Important)

Anonymous REST JS call error using SP2013

Problem: I am making an anonymous JavaScript REST call to a image library.  I get the error "Request failed.  The method GetItems of the type List with id ... is blocked by the administrator on the server.nundefined".
 
Resolution:  Change the ClientCallbackSettings on the web application as shown below.
 
 

$wa = Get-SPWebApplication http://www.demo.dev
$wa.ClientCallableSettings .AnonymousRestrictedTypes.Remove([microsoft.sharepoint.splist],"GetItems")
$wa.Update()


More Info:
http://www.sharepoint-zone.com/search/label/ClientCallableSettings.AnonymousRestrictedTypes